Monday, August 11, 2014
||6:00 PM to 7:00 PM
Ryan Baker - 312-213-5262
||Sierra Club Office: 70 East Lake St., Chicago IL
The Air & Energy Team of the Chicago Group of Sierra Club works within the Chicago area and beyond for a healthy and green community. We organize, lobby, and educate for cleaner air and sustainable energy choices. Our monthly meetings help plan our active campaigns.
2014 Campaign Goals
- Pass EPA regulations on carbon dioxide regulations from existing power plants by supporting the U.S. EPA to make strong rules and the Illinois EPA to set a model for the nation by enforcing them. This is part of President Obama’s climate action plan and one of the biggest opportunities ever to reduce CO2 emissions.
- Fix the Illinois renewable portfolio standard (RPS) by passing a bill in the legislature that releases frozen funds so they can be used to support renewable energy development in Illinois.
- Strengthen fracking regulations in Illinois by pressuring Pat Quinn and the Illinois Dept. of Natural Resources to strengthen their administrative rules, which as currently written would effectively gut fracking regulations in Illinois.
- Help stop the Keystone XL pipeline from expanding dirty tar sands oil drilling, by participating in direct actions bringing public and media attention to the issue, and engaging with key elected officials who can add their voices to the opposition.
- Expand energy efficiency programs in Illinois by pushing for the release of almost $425 million funds intended to provide weatherization for low-income homeowners, as well as organizing outreach for Energy Impact Illinois, a program to